About Us

History

In June 2019 MIZUHO Corporation celebrated the 100th anniversary of its founding. We owe this success to the support and patronage of our customers, for which we are deeply thankful. The company began way back in June 1919 as a medical equipment wholesaler in the Hongo district of Tokyo, before starting to manufacture artificial limbs in 1938. After the war, as a manufacturer of operating tables and other medical equipment, such as cerebral aneurysm clips, orthopedic implants, and steel surgical instruments, the company strived to supply safe, reliable healthcare products and services. Our products and technologies are now widely used and highly valued not just in Japan, but across the world.

代表取締役社長 根本 裕司

Now, after celebrating 100 years in business, we have started building the next century of our history with a firm commitment to carrying on our legacy with gratitude and pride. In the new era that is currently unfolding, we are proudly continuing our involvement in the healthcare sector, to contribute to medical advances and to benefit the everyday health of people.

代表取締役社長 根本 裕司

In this effort we look forward to your continued loyal support.

Hiroshi Nemoto
Representative Director President & CEO

代表取締役社長 根本 裕司

The Lineage of Mizuho
Presidents & Vice Presidents

創業者?初代社長 根本 栄吉

Founder and 1st President

1919-1969

Eikichi Nemoto

取締役副社長?初代五泉工場長 根本 軍治

Senior Vice President / 1st Gosen Factory Manager

1944-1965

Gunji Nemoto

2代目社長 根本 正男

2nd President

1970-1982

Masao Nemoto


3代目社長 取締役相談役 根本 達

3rd President

1983-1998

Director and Senior Advisor
Toru Nemoto

4代目社長 取締役會長 根本 喬

4th President

1999-2013

Group Chairman
Takashi Nemoto


From 1919…

From founding of business to commencement of manufacturing

1919

Eikichi Nemoto sets up Iwashiya Nemoto Eikichi Shoten in Hongo, Tokyo, as a branch store of Iwashiya Kiuchi Inosuke Shoten. He starts wholesaling of surgical instruments. The following year his younger brother Gunji Nemoto joins the business.

1923

Recovering from the great earthquake and earning trust

After the Great Kanto Earthquake, the store reopens earlier than any other wholesaler. Offering jobs to craftsmen affected by the disaster with good terms, the store supplies medical equipment to hospitals, helping with the difficult relief efforts in the aftermath of the earthquake. This earns the trust of many people and lays the foundations for further business growth and development. At this time, Japan’s national flower, the chrysanthemum, is adopted as a brand mark, to symbolize quality assurance.

1938

Commencement of artificial limb manufacturing

Nemoto Seisakusho (Oji Factory) is set up in Oji-ku (currently Kita-ku), Tokyo, as a manufacturing division of the business. The manufacture of artificial limbs commences under a national directive. Masao Nemoto, a nephew of the founder, takes charge of the factory.

1939

The business is incorporated and full-scale production and sales start

The privately run store Nemoto Eikichi Shoten is incorporated. Nemoto Eikichi Shoten Co., Ltd. is established. At the same time, Mizuho Kogyo Co., Ltd. is set up to take over the manufacturing operations of Nemoto Seisakusho. The business transitions from wholesaling to production and sales, paving the way to today’s Mizuho.

1941

Toa Ika Kikai Tankojo Ltd. is established at Takasago, Tokyo. The new company begins precision forging of medical equipment and artificial limbs.

1943

As a result of wartime enterprise mergers, Nemoto Eikichi Shoten Co., Ltd., Mizuho Kogyo Co., Ltd. (formerly Nemoto Seisakusho), and Toa Ika Kikai Tankojo Ltd. are integrated. A total of 12 collaborating subcontractor companies are also folded into this merger, resulting in the establishment of Mizuho Kogyo Co., Ltd.

1944

The Oji Factory is relocated to Gosen in Niigata, due to an evacuation order. Gunji Nemoto assumes the role of factory manager.

1945

The company’s head office at Hongo is completely destroyed in the bombing of Tokyo. The head office functions are relocated to the Tokyo Factory in Takasago. The relocated factory at Gosen is also lost in a great fire. The factory is rebuilt in July, but with the official end of the war on August 15 it ceases to serve as a munitions factory.

1949

Mizuho starts manufacturing medical equipment on its own

Having lost the war, Japan’s import capabilities declined. The company strives to manufacture its own medical equipment but is hampered by a lack of information. Meanwhile, it is requested to repair medical equipment by a U.S. military hospital. In the process of repairing operating tables, aspirators, and electrosurgical instruments (electric scalpels), the company studies the construction and mechanism of the medical equipment and gains enough knowledge to start manufacturing its own similar products. In this same period, Mizuho starts developing and manufacturing orthopedic surgical equipment at its Gosen Factory under the guidance of a university professor. This led to the strong presence of Japanese orthopedic surgical equipment in the healthcare market .

1951...

Numerous, world-leading medical products are launched

1951

The company name is changed from Mizuho Kogyo Co., Ltd. to Mizuho Ika Kogyo Co., Ltd.

1953

Manufacture of orthopedic implants starts at the Gosen Factory. One of these, the Amako plate for bone fractures, came to be used for many years throughout Japan as a typical bone plate.

1959

Mizuho develops the world’s first fully hydraulic operating table, the MOT-1000.

The MOT-1000 is the world’s first operating table whose operations are all driven using hydraulic cylinders. This product made an important contribution to the diffusion of modern medical care in Japan.

1962

Multipurpose SPL-300 operating table becomes an unprecedented hit

The multi-purpose SPL-300 operating table, combining advanced operability and versatility, is developed. This becomes an unprecedented hit product for Mizuho, with cumulative sales topping 1,000 units in 1969.

1965

Mizuho sets up the industry’s first distribution system

Mizuho sets up Japan’s first distributorship system in the medical industry, establishing sales representatives all over the country. By setting up a new sales network in the market, Mizuho actively stimulates competition between manufacturers.


The head office building, originally constructed in wood, is rebuilt in reinforced concrete.

1968

The MOT-5000 electro-hydraulic operating table is launched

The MOT-5000 establishes the basic specifications for current electric operating tables. This is the product that cemented Mizuho’s international reputation as a leading supplier of operating tables.


The manufacture of aspirators, electrosurgical instruments, and sphygmomanometers is transferred to the new company.

1969

Mizuho celebrates its 50th anniversary with a company trip to Hakone.
“Honesty, Contribution, and Solidarity” is instituted as Mizuho’s corporate creed, based on the founder’s philosophy.
Sales of the MOS-1100 orthopedic operating table commence.

1970

Masao Nemoto is appointed as the 2nd president of Mizuho.

1973

The Narashino Factory is established by the relocation of the Tokyo factory to Funabashi in Chiba.
Manufacturing at the new factory commences, focused on operating tables.

1976

The birth of the “Sugita Clip.” A revolution in cerebral aneurysm surgery

Mizuho develops a new kind of cerebral aneurysm clip at its Gosen Factory, under the guidance of Dr. Kenichiro Sugita of Nagoya University. The product is perfected in 1976, under the name “Sugita Clip.”

Exports of operating tables to the U.S. are started

Mizuho strengthens and expands its export business helped by the strong acclaim it receives from its American dealers. Mizuho commences exports of operating tables to the U.S. after signing a sales agreement with Skytron, LLC (of Michigan).


To mark the company’s 60th anniversary, Mizuho holds a commemorative ceremony for all employees at the Minakami Onsen (hot springs resort) in Gunma.

1981

The trade division at head office is split off to form Mizuho Medical Co., Ltd.
The Sugita Clip is officially released at the WFNS World Congress of Neurosurgery (Munich, Germany). The performance of the product is highly rated, leading to immediate distribution.

1983

Mizuho opens its Product Management Center in Takasago, Tokyo.

1983...

Increasing our international reach, towards globalization

1983

Toru Nemoto is appointed as the 3rd president of Mizuho.

1984

The Sugita Clip acquires U.S. FDA 510 (k) certification (Gosen Factory).
The Sugita Clip is exhibited at the American Associations of Neurological Surgeons (Washington).

1989

To commemorate its 70th anniversary, Mizuho holds a gratitude party at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo. It also organizes a company trip to Hong Kong and Macao.

1992

A new head office building is constructed in Hongo, Tokyo.

1993

Mizuho America, Inc. is established in Boston, Massachusetts as a sales company for neurosurgical products.

1999

Takashi Nemoto is appointed as the 4th president of Mizuho.


To commemorate its 80th anniversary, the company organizes a trip for employees to Los Angeles (U.S.) and the Gold Coast (Australia).
The Gosen Factory is rebuilt anew at a site in Akoumi, Gosen.

2001

The Kanto sales division is split off to establish Mizuho Urban Co., Ltd.

2002

M&A with U.S. company OSI

Mizuho acquires an operating table manufacturer in California, U.S.

2007

Mizuho Thailand Co., Ltd. is established

Mizuho Thailand Co., Ltd. is established at the Rojana Industrial Park in Ayutthaya, Thailand, as a manufacturing base for operating tables.


Name of OSI is changed to Mizuho OSI.

2009

A commemorative ceremony to mark the company’s 90th anniversary is held at Hotel New Otani in Tokyo.

2012

“Customer-focused, Innovation, and Professionalism” are instituted as the corporate principles of the Mizuho Group.

2013

Chiba Factory is established as a complex facility equipped with production plant, distribution warehouses, and showrooms.

The Narashino Factory is relocated to a newly constructed facility in Sakura, Chiba. The reborn facility, renamed “Chiba Factory,” combines logistics, showroom, and service center functions.


Mizuho Building No. 2 is constructed at Mizuho’s head office site in Hongo, Tokyo.

2014

Company name becomes “MIZUHO Corporation”

In anticipation of further globalization, the company’s name is simplified to “MIZUHO Corporation.”
A new logomark is adopted to mark the corporate name change. It expresses a vision of penetrating further into the world market with group solidarity.


Hiroshi Nemoto is appointed as the 5th president.


The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry recognizes the success of the Sugita Clip and includes Mizuho in its “Global Niche Top Companies Selection 100.”

2015

M&A with TRILUX Medical GmbH of Germany

Mizuho acquires a light manufacturer based in Arnsberg.

2018

Mizuho Building No. 3 is constructed at Mizuho’s head office site in Hongo, Tokyo.

2019

100th anniversary of the company’s founding

Mizuho holds a commemoration ceremony and party at the Prince Hotel in Karuizawa, Nagano, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding as a business.


Mizuho Thailand is relocated to an expanded facility at the Hi-Tech Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya.

100th anniversary commemorative ceremony and celebration party

On August 9, 2019 (in the first year of the Reiwa era), Mizuho holds a commemorative ceremony and party at the Karuizawa Prince Hotel in Nagano to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding. A total of 550 people gather to attend the day’s events and celebrate the 100th anniversary. In addition to current employees of Mizuho and its group companies both in and outside Japan, some former employees and representatives of partner companies were also present.

創業100周年記念式典
創業100周年記念式典